Thursday, February 10, 2011

I feel a LITTLE bad...but only a little.

Psst-- can you keep a secret?

Yesterday was Snow Day #5 for me. Yes, FIVE days out of the last nine were "bad weather" days where I live. I work at a school, and even though I am not a District employee, I still got to stay home on each and every one of the days the school was closed.

It was glorious, really. Especially yesterday. Jeremy and I were both off, and our day was the perfect mix of productivity and relaxation...like a Saturday smack-dab in the middle of the week. Perfection.

But the thing about it is that the kids and the teachers at my school are frustrated about all these snow days. The talk is all about when we'll make up the days and if any of them can be forgiven by the state, since only two bad weather days are built in to the District calendar. People are annoyed that their plans are thrown off and we'll be halfway into June and still in school, if things continue at this rate.

But here's the secret: with my organization, we have to work through the summers anyway; we don't get to be off just because school is out. We run summer programs and camps or we assist with summer school (yawn) if absolutely necessary. So for someone like me, a contract employee with the District, these five days were F-R-E-E. Without cost. I got paid for each any every one and did not have to use a solitary sick or personal day!

But wait! There's more to the secret. :)

This is my "final month" of pregnancy, so I just got an extra week of what can basically be called "vacation" when I am physically at my largest and most-tired. THANK YOU, LORD!! Seriously, it feels like a gift from Heaven sent just for me, all this so-called bad weather.

So I feel a LITTLE bad for the students having to make up their days of school, and for the teachers trying to cram in their lessons with an entire week less instruction time than they should have, and for the other District employees that will have to work when it should be "summer," and for the folks everywhere ELSE that didn't get off Scot-free for a solid week...

I feel a LITTLE bad...but only a little. ;)

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift. As a stay at home mom with no agenda other than wearing clean jammies, I've thoroughly enjoyed this pause from life. I think it was god's way of requiring that we be still and know Him. I'm so very glad you were able to relax and accomplish all your last minute baby prep. Enjoy friend. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! I have been bemoaning the fact that ya'll have had snow days while I'm not there, but Mom reminded me about having to go further in the summer and I was excited that I live up north now...no snow days here cuz no snow, lol. Hoping baby girl is behaving herself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to need a Baby Fike Watch Update please!

    ReplyDelete